COMPENSATION SCHEME FOR WOMEN VICTIMS\SURVIVORS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT\OTHER CRIMES – 2018
Newz Fast, New Delhi
COMPENSATION SCHEME FOR WOMEN : This scheme is proposed by the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) for the purpose of compensating the victims of sexual assaults, acid attacks and other like crimes.
It is approved by the Supreme Court of India who directed that it would be applicable across the country.
So, while approving the scheme a bench comprising of Justice Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta said it would be applicable pan-India and the states and union territories would be free to give compensation over and above what was stipulated in the scheme.
The bench further said that, “we make it clear that the scheme prepared by NALSA will not preclude the states and union territories from giving more compensation.
ELIGIBILITY FOR COMPENSATION:
only those victims are eligible to get compensation who fulfilled the following condition;
- He\She should not have been in receipt of any compensation for such loss or injury from any government authorities or any other scheme of the Central\State government for which the applicant shall file a declaration to that effect along with the application form.
- The loss or injury sustained by the victim or his dependents should have caused substantial loss to the income of the family making it difficult to make both ends to meet without the financial aid or which requires such expenditures beyond his means on medical treatment of such mental\physical injury to the victim.
- Where the offender is untraceable or cannot be identified but the victim is identifiable. Then also they can apply for compensation under sub-section (4) of section 357 A of the Act.
INJURY FACED AND THE AMOUNT OF COMPENSATION
- Acid Attack – Rs. 3 lakh
- Rape – Rs. 3 lakh
- Physical abuse of minor – Rs. 2 lakh
- Rehabilitation of victim of Human Trafficking – Rs. 1 lakh
- Sexual Assault – Rs. 50,000
- Permanent disability (80% more) – Rs. 2 lakh
- Death – Rs. 2 lakh
- Partial disability (40% to 80%) – Rs. 1 lakh
- Burns affecting greater than 25% body – Rs. 2 lakh
- Loss of fertility – Rs. 50,000
- Loss of fetus – Rs. 1.5 lakh
- Women victims of cross border firing:
- Death or Permanent Disability (80% more) – Rs. 2 lakh
- Partial Disability – Rs. 1 lakh
- If the victim is less than 14 years of age then the amount of compensation is increased by 50% over the amount specified. (COMPENSATION SCHEME FOR WOMEN)